Another book that rocks my socks, and this time it is about a subject that has fascinated me for a long, long time.
I'm in the middle of audiobooking The Palace of Illusions, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. It is a retelling of the wonderful legend the Mahabharat, this time from the point of view of Draupadi/Panchali. I've read Krishna Dharma's novelization of the Mahabharata, and fell in love with the story from then.
Historical, mystical, magical and legendary, this is a true epic fantasy tale. It is also the longest epic poem in the history of the world. Yes, I plan to read it in its entirety one day (probably soon, thanks to Project Gutenberg), but these two books are remarkable narratives on the subject.
I'm drawn to all things Hindu (as you will see when you take a peek at The Defender's Burden) and the more I read the more I'm fascinated. If you are not familiar with the name pronunciations, I would suggest audiobook; the narrator is fantastic, making all of the names flow like water.
In other news, I'm plugging along with Part III and outline, hopefully by Sept. 15 I'll be able to post a new part on my site. Keep your fingers crossed!

This entry was posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 at Monday, August 31, 2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment